30% off The Body Shop products online! (click)
I was just looking at The Body Shop’s website and I saw that they are having a weekend sale! 30% off SITEWIDE if you use the code “SAVEGREEN”
SO EXCITED. The Body Shop has become one of my latest obsessions. Their products are awesome, smell amazing, WORK and the company definitely does their part to be ethical and environmentally conscious. Check it out!
I hope you all have a happy St. Patrick’s Day, filled with lots of green things (ahem…beer) and leprechauns maybe?
- B. :)
So I’ve been working on formulating a green beauty product checklist. Essentially, what natural (or claimed to be beauty products) should and shouldn’t include. This will probably involve a bit of inspection on your part but all in all, if a product is really green, all the criteria below will be met (these are based on my personal beliefs and what I feel is ethical).
What environmentally sound products have:
- Natural or organic ingredients. If they are certified natural, organic and/or vegetarian by the world’s most reliable independent third party organizations then that’s even better. I’d rather put natural stuff on my face rather than chemical junk. This means: no parabens, phthalates or any other names you can’t really pronounce. (In fact, it is a rule of thumb to get products in which you can read of the ingredients with no problem pronouncing it…usually applies to food though, but I say: why not your face?)
- Not been tested on animals, 100% cruelty-free.
- Effective ingredients with proven benefits
- If it’s food-grade, the better
- eco-friendly packaging (made from recycled materials)
What you will need:
- a clean spray bottle
- 8 ounces of water (tap/filtered/distilled depending on your hair needs)
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt (finely ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon of coconut scented conditioner
- dab of unscented hair gel
- essential oils
- tea tree oil
- more sea salt
Add all your ingredients to the spray bottle and shake it until it mixes together. Any oils added will never fully combine well with the water so you’ll have to shake it a little before each use. If your hair gel and/or conditioner don’t combine you can try warming the mixture in the microwave (remove any metal pieces and don’t use until it is cooled down) to see if that helps - if it doesn’t, you may have used too thick of a conditioner/gel.
To use: Mist it all over your hair and scrunch. You will immediately get beachy and soft waves.
While I was in Barns and Nobles, I came across a very simple recipe for Lip Balm. For those of you who are interested here you go:
- 3 teaspoons of petroleum jelly
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- dash of cinnamon
Mix the three ingredients together and store it in an empty lip balm tin.
Good Luck :)
I have not yet tried the recipe, but I will as soon as a figure out where I put the petroleum jelly. :)
Try this out fellow natural beauty junkies!
woke up nice and early today (6:15, but i didn’t end up coming around till 6:30) and got my day started - one of my new years resolutions was to get in better shape and definitely eat better and live a healthier life style. i’ve been looking into doing a detox but i don’t know if i’d want to do one for a whole week, so if anyone knows of any 2-3 day detoxes, let me know by clicking here.
i’m headed out the grocery store in a little while to pick up some greens for the glowing green smoothie by kimberly snyder. i saw hilary duff praising it on her twitter and read into it a little bit so i’m going to give it a try. it is essentially a whole load of greens in a smoothie with some fruit. you drink a glass every morning and it’s supposed to be beneficial to you, some of which include weight loss, healthy hair, healthy skin (what i’m going for, my skin is fine now, but i’d love a bit of a glow) and some people even say it brightens your eyes! i’ve never been picky with veggies, and i actually really enjoy smoothies like these. if you’ve tried it, let me know how you like it!
I want to hear your homemade and eco-friendly beauty products! Do you partake in a clean and green beauty routine? I really want to hear all about it. Cause there’s nothing better than lovely people, such as yourself, providing inspiration to others!
Tell me about it, here. :)