Honey & Oatmeal
- Honey is a humectant, meaning it naturally retains moisture
- Oatmeal is the perfect texture for exfoliating as well as softening
- Combined, these two make a perfect team for soft and dewy skin.
What you need:
(For one time use)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of dry oatmeal
Mix together these two ingredients. Wash your face with cold water and pat dry. Apply the mixture over your face using a circular scrubbing motion. If you’d like, leave it on for a couple of minutes.
Wash it all off and you should already notice softer & glowing skin.
I love to use this when my face feels tired and in need of some scrubbing. The best part is, this mixture is not very harsh, so people with sensitive skin can use it as well.
Try it! And let me know what you think!
One of my personal goals is to completely green up my everyday beauty routine. I want to be an ethical consumer, one who is educated about companies and what they really do. I no longer want to support companies that support and partake in animal testing or use unfair and unethical means of producing their products (such as child labour). Pampering yourself is very important, but I want to start doing so by making my own stuff. Making my own toothpaste, shampoo, lotions and other sweet products that will allow me to try something new, as well as save some money (and maybe the planet…I’m a big thinker). So I invite you to join in the same journey that I’m taking. Green up your beauty routine. Be informed. Try new things. And hold to your values.
This is what I need to change in mine:
- no more aerosol shaving gels, once I finish my current one, I will dispose of it correctly and start moving on to alternatives such a shaving creams or baby oil.
- no more buying unnecessary products. I’m so fascinated with all things beauty, and I tend to accumulate a lot of stuff. That is a lot of stuff that gets wasted and eventually thrown out.
- Minimize heat to my hair as much as possible. Embrace my natural, frizzy hair and tame it with oil and conditioner.
So I’m going to putting up links on this blog that will show you: ethical companies (a list I will build by doing research and lots of it!) and diy (all the products I attempt to make) and reviews (reviewing green beauty products, yea they may be green, but do they work?)Stay tuned!
Get beautiful curls overnight! No heat involved.
Interested in getting beautiful curls without using ANY heat that damages your hair & that is environmentally friendly? It involves using something that every one of us has lying around our house & is something we can definitely spare (especially when the evil dryer eats them or something). That’s right, I’m talking about: A SOCK.
If this is something that you’d like to try, check out the video below. It’s super cool and super effective, trust me!
Good for: Strengthening and deep conditioning hair, alone or mixed with mayonnaise until the mixture is mint green in color.
Limitations: Avocado is a common allergen, so even though you are not ingesting it, ask your allergist if you are allergic.
Can replace: Store-bought, deep-conditioning treatments for hair.
Read more of our suggestions for skin and hair care from the fridge.
5 Must-Have Dual Purpose Beauty Products
I like using as few products as possible for my actual beautifying routine. I save time by not having to use extra items, money by only having to buy one thing as opposed to two, and space with less bottles cluttering up my already cramped quarters.
- Hand soap- 1 drop of pure liquid castile soap is enough to replace a full pump of hand soap.
- Body wash- Later up with a few drops on a washcloth or directly onto hands.
- Shampoo- Make your own shampoo with 1 part soap and 1 part water. Add a splash of olive oil for dry hair or a splash of lemon juice or vinegar for oily hair. Choose a mild, unscented soap for a great baby shampoo.
- Face wash- Mix 1 part soap with 5 parts water for a mild soap that’s gentle on the skin and won’t cause excess drying. Add a few sprigs of muddled mint for a tingly sensation.
- Kitchen cleaners- Choose a soap with tea tree oil for natural antibacterial and antifungal properties. Dilute soap with water 1:2 to 1:20 depending on the toughness of the job. Add the juice of a lemon for a great citrus smell and added antiseptic properties.
- Laundry detergent- Add 1/4 cup to your load with a pinch of baking soda for surprisingly clean clothes.
- Dish soap- Replace your dish soap and cut tough grease with just a few drops of castile soap.
- Bath products- Add a squirt to bath water to replace all your bath products. Lavender castile soap will fulfill your aromatherapy needs, while leaving skin clean and moisturized.
- Floor cleaners- Clean your tile, laminate or vinyl floors with a 1:20 soap to water mixture for a clean floor that won’t make you slip.
- Dog shampoo- Make your own natural and gentle dog shampoo by mixing 2 cups of water with 2 tsp castile soap and 2 tsp aloe vera.
Organic wear® 100% Natural Origin Jumbo Lash Mascara
I honestly live by this mascara by Physicians Formula. It’s amazing.
If you want thicker, fuller lashes…naturally, this would be the mascara to purchase. I have sparse lashes and this mascara makes a pretty noticeable difference in the thickness of my baby lashes.
- 100% of the Total Ingredients are from Natural Origin.
- 47% of the Total Ingredients are from Organic Farming.
- 100% Dramatic Volume & Glamour.
- OrganiSoy® Moisturizes and helps nourish lashes.
- Eco-Olive(r) a natural antioxidant, shields lashes from harsh environmental aggressors.
Physicians Formula is a great brand with solid values. I would definitely recommend checking them out (they’re in my sidebar).