Environmental Defence, a not for profit organization in Canada, has a campaign called “Just Beautiful”, that serves to provide the public with information and resources about the toxins that are present in items we use every single day.
Besides that, they also have a pledge for participating companies who support this campaign, to make their product ingredients readily available to the public.
A worthwhile and educational campaign that is worth learning more about.
Honey & Oatmeal
- Honey is a humectant, meaning it naturally retains moisture
- Oatmeal is the perfect texture for exfoliating as well as softening
- Combined, these two make a perfect team for soft and dewy skin.
What you need:
(For one time use)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of dry oatmeal
Mix together these two ingredients. Wash your face with cold water and pat dry. Apply the mixture over your face using a circular scrubbing motion. If you’d like, leave it on for a couple of minutes.
Wash it all off and you should already notice softer & glowing skin.
I love to use this when my face feels tired and in need of some scrubbing. The best part is, this mixture is not very harsh, so people with sensitive skin can use it as well.
Try it! And let me know what you think!
One of my personal goals is to completely green up my everyday beauty routine. I want to be an ethical consumer, one who is educated about companies and what they really do. I no longer want to support companies that support and partake in animal testing or use unfair and unethical means of producing their products (such as child labour). Pampering yourself is very important, but I want to start doing so by making my own stuff. Making my own toothpaste, shampoo, lotions and other sweet products that will allow me to try something new, as well as save some money (and maybe the planet…I’m a big thinker). So I invite you to join in the same journey that I’m taking. Green up your beauty routine. Be informed. Try new things. And hold to your values.
This is what I need to change in mine:
- no more aerosol shaving gels, once I finish my current one, I will dispose of it correctly and start moving on to alternatives such a shaving creams or baby oil.
- no more buying unnecessary products. I’m so fascinated with all things beauty, and I tend to accumulate a lot of stuff. That is a lot of stuff that gets wasted and eventually thrown out.
- Minimize heat to my hair as much as possible. Embrace my natural, frizzy hair and tame it with oil and conditioner.
So I’m going to putting up links on this blog that will show you: ethical companies (a list I will build by doing research and lots of it!) and diy (all the products I attempt to make) and reviews (reviewing green beauty products, yea they may be green, but do they work?)Stay tuned!
- Hand soap- 1 drop of pure liquid castile soap is enough to replace a full pump of hand soap.
- Body wash- Later up with a few drops on a washcloth or directly onto hands.
- Shampoo- Make your own shampoo with 1 part soap and 1 part water. Add a splash of olive oil for dry hair or a splash of lemon juice or vinegar for oily hair. Choose a mild, unscented soap for a great baby shampoo.
- Face wash- Mix 1 part soap with 5 parts water for a mild soap that’s gentle on the skin and won’t cause excess drying. Add a few sprigs of muddled mint for a tingly sensation.
- Kitchen cleaners- Choose a soap with tea tree oil for natural antibacterial and antifungal properties. Dilute soap with water 1:2 to 1:20 depending on the toughness of the job. Add the juice of a lemon for a great citrus smell and added antiseptic properties.
- Laundry detergent- Add 1/4 cup to your load with a pinch of baking soda for surprisingly clean clothes.
- Dish soap- Replace your dish soap and cut tough grease with just a few drops of castile soap.
- Bath products- Add a squirt to bath water to replace all your bath products. Lavender castile soap will fulfill your aromatherapy needs, while leaving skin clean and moisturized.
- Floor cleaners- Clean your tile, laminate or vinyl floors with a 1:20 soap to water mixture for a clean floor that won’t make you slip.
- Dog shampoo- Make your own natural and gentle dog shampoo by mixing 2 cups of water with 2 tsp castile soap and 2 tsp aloe vera.
Organic wear® 100% Natural Origin Jumbo Lash Mascara
I honestly live by this mascara by Physicians Formula. It’s amazing.
If you want thicker, fuller lashes…naturally, this would be the mascara to purchase. I have sparse lashes and this mascara makes a pretty noticeable difference in the thickness of my baby lashes.
- 100% of the Total Ingredients are from Natural Origin.
- 47% of the Total Ingredients are from Organic Farming.
- 100% Dramatic Volume & Glamour.
- OrganiSoy® Moisturizes and helps nourish lashes.
- Eco-Olive(r) a natural antioxidant, shields lashes from harsh environmental aggressors.
Physicians Formula is a great brand with solid values. I would definitely recommend checking them out (they’re in my sidebar).
So I’ve been working on formulating a green beauty product checklist. Essentially, what natural (or claimed to be beauty products) should and shouldn’t include. This will probably involve a bit of inspection on your part but all in all, if a product is really green, all the criteria below will be met (these are based on my personal beliefs and what I feel is ethical).
What environmentally sound products have:
- Natural or organic ingredients. If they are certified natural, organic and/or vegetarian by the world’s most reliable independent third party organizations then that’s even better. I’d rather put natural stuff on my face rather than chemical junk. This means: no parabens, phthalates or any other names you can’t really pronounce. (In fact, it is a rule of thumb to get products in which you can read of the ingredients with no problem pronouncing it…usually applies to food though, but I say: why not your face?)
- Not been tested on animals, 100% cruelty-free.
- Effective ingredients with proven benefits
- If it’s food-grade, the better
- eco-friendly packaging (made from recycled materials)
NOW Foods Solutions
Okay so I discovered this wonderful company called NOW foods. Their products are food-grade BUT beauty products as well!
What I particularly want to recommend to you all is their Grapeseed Oil.
This is what the bottle looks like (sorry for the small picture).
A lot of the time, I find that drugstore moisturizers are too heavy and make my skin really oily (I have combination skin so it’s not a good look for me), but this oil is labeled as a light moisturizer, which it is!
After washing my face with oatmeal soap, I put a few drops of this baby on my fingers and massaged it on my face. My skin felt so amazing after!
I would definitely recommend you guys to try this out, especially if you are looking for a healthy and natural moisturizer.
The following is what the description of the grapeseed oil is (from the website):
100% Pure Grapeseed Oil is a light, odorless oil with mild astringent and emollient properties. This versatile oil contains numerous essential fatty acids including Linoleic, Oleic, Stearic, Palmitic, Myristic and Lauric. its rich, silky texture is perfect for soothing away dryness and irritation and is suitable for all skin types since it won’t clog pores or cause break-outs. Grapeseed Oil is perfect as a base for lotions, and it’s mild enough to use as a conditioner for all hair types.
Many make-up removers contain harsh chemicals and good ones are usually quite pricey. But there is one simple solution that is essentially in every household: EVOO, also known as Extra Virgin Olive Oil. No, it doesn’t sound appealing but it works wonders and is a natural and gentle way to take off your makeup (which you should always do at night! - not to be bossy).
To use: Take a cotton ball soaked in olive oil to remove makeup. Then, depending on your skin type, follow up with a mild cleanser or just splash multiple times with lots of water to remove excess oil. For a more luxurious experience, slightly warm the olive oil before applying.
If you aren’t keen on the idea, here’s beauty guru, Michelle Phan, showing you how to use it and how well it works!